In November 2013, the Ukrainian Canadian Students’ Union (SUSK) secured funding through the Ukrainian Canadian Congress (UCC) Ukrainian Dragons competition for several initiatives, including the creation of a full-time National Coordinator position based in Ottawa, Ontario, in order to better consolidate and further professionalize our activities.
Based in Ottawa, Ontario, the SUSK National Coordinator works alongside UCC staff at the UCC National Office to help SUSK reach, support, and empower more young Ukrainian Canadians while enhancing the operational capacity of the Ukrainian Canadian Congress.
Connor Moen recently completed his Bachelor’s degree in Political Science at the University of Saskatchewan and joined the UCC staff in Ottawa on September 6, 2016. Connor comes from a wealth of experience in Ukrainian Student Organization (USO) development, helping revive his club at the University of Saskatchewan in 2011 and eventually leading its growth into becoming one of the largest USOs across the country. Connor took this experience and joined the SUSK National Executive in 2015 as Project Director, where he spearheaded the execution of the 2016 Annual SUSK Congress (‘SUSKatoon‘).
Roles of the National Coordinator (SUSK)
- Assist the development of USOs in any capacity deemed fit (eg fundraising, social media, governance, etc.);
- Ensure organizational sustainability, institutional memory, and future growth.
- Lead the development of fundraising strategy and programs, including active targeting of government, academic, and non-profit grants;
- Assist with the organization of SUSK National Executive meetings, SUSK National Congress and other mandated regional or local student-oriented events;
- Assist the SUSK President and National Executive in a variety of administrative tasks including management of archives, resources, materials, as directed;
- Manage contact lists and compile membership databases;
- Manage social media channels in conjunction with the SUSK Media Director;
- Assist with the development of guides and handbooks for organization membership;
- Liaise and create strategic partnerships with other Canadian youth organizations;
- Identify research, program, employment, and development opportunities for Ukrainian Canadian students at large;
- Assist SUSK National Executive in implementing projects, advocacy campaigns, and recruitment initiatives;
- In coordination with the SUSK President, act as a primary point of contact for local/national/international inquiries,
Roles of the National Coordinator (UCC)
- Assist UCC Executive Director and other full-time staff with a variety of administrative tasks;
- Manage social media outlets;
- Act as a resource for other local and national Ukrainian youth organizations and assist the UCC National Youth Chair and National Youth Committee in performance of their duties;
- Assist the UCC National Office with day-to-day operations, including event organization and administrative overflow in a team environment (phone duties, faxes, in-person inquiries);
- Assist with recruitment and management of volunteers.
Contact the National Coordinator today to learn how to develop your organization or how to get involved with SUSK at email@example.com!