“Cоюз Українськoгo Студентства Канади” (CУСК), “Ukrainian Canadian Students’ Union,” or “Union des Étudiants Ukrainiens Canadiens” is a non-profit coordinating body of Ukrainian Students’ Organizations (USOs) at post-secondary institutions across Canada. It was formed in December 1953 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Though it fell inactive in 2001, SUSK was revived at the XXII Congress of Ukrainian Canadians held in Winnipeg, in October 2007.
As a member of the Ukrainian Canadian Congress (UCC), SUSK’s mandate is to serve as a national forum through which concerns and issues relevant to Ukrainian Canadian students are discussed and acted upon. SUSK works to develop the leadership potential of all its members and encourages all students to explore, honour, and celebrate their Ukrainian identity.
– To uphold and promote the Ukrainian language
– To organize and represent member organizations and associates of the Ukrainian Canadian Students’ Union
– To promote Ukrainian and Ukrainian-Canadian studies
– To raise awareness about Ukrainian and Ukrainian-Canadian culture
– To provide a structure for inter-group relations
– To foster cooperation and understanding among Ukrainian-Canadian students’ member organizations, associates, as well as non-members
– To participate in and encourage the development of the Ukrainian-Canadian community, which abides by the rule of law, as well as democratic and humanitarian principles
– To educate and inform members and non-members about issues relevant to the Ukrainian-Canadian community
– To coordinate and initiate activities to promote Ukrainian culture
– To organize conferences, tours, ethnic events, study groups and exhibits which further the objectives of the Ukrainian Canadian Students’ Union
The link below is the current version of the SUSK constitution. Amendments are made yearly, at the National Congress: SUSK Constitution – Feb 12, 2010
At SUSK, we pride ourselves on our hardworking executive team members that attend post-secondary institutions across Canada — some are even international students from the United States or Ukraine.
SUSK supports more than 25 Ukrainian Student Organizations (USOs) at post-secondary institutions across the country. Students who wish to be involved in SUSK must first register as members of their USO. Find out if your university or college has a USO, and join today!
SUSK has many talented alumni that continue to be active members of the Ukrainian community across Canada—as executive directors of the Ukrainian Canadian Congress (UCC), or leaders in organizations working with youth, politics, arts and culture, and sports. Others help SUSK coordinate programs for our current student members, including study-abroad and scholarship opportunities. Click here to register as a SUSK Alumni!